FAIR TRADER

Through Mindful Spending, we aim to slowly harness a small portion of the world's collective purchase power to support Fair Trade companies.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Changing a DSL Modem and Net Neutrality

I just changed our DSL modem, it's about 4 years old, and I decided to change it now rather than have it fry on me. I'm hanging on to the old modem as an emergency backup!

Since I decided to stay with SBC-DSL, changing a DSL modem was easy: I went down to Best Buy to get a Siemens 4100 (the one that SBC is selling through Best Buy), shut down my old modem, replaced it with the new modem, turned everything back on, and I'm back online. My network setup includes a Linksys Router and Wireless Access Point: there was no need to reconfigure those puppies, I literally just replaced the modem. The key is to get a modem your DSL provider certifies/uses, and when you replace the modem, your service will resume as before.

Now that I've plunked $70 on a new modem, I decided to take advantage of SBC's offer for a speed upgrade: for $28/month, I get 3-6 Mbps down and, I think, 386K up. After a year the max. price is $40/month -- at that point I'm free to take advantage of another one of their promos, or switch to another broadband provider.

That means I'm locked in with SBC, one of the opponents of Net Neutrality. As a customer, it gives me the right to complain if they start blocking services that I like -- or when they start crippling ANY services, period. Maybe, my rationale for staying with SBC actually helps Net Neutrality!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home